What Is DomeNet?DomeNet, the NY Maritime College alumni discussion list is an open forum that allows graduates and students attending SUNY Maritime College to hold online discussions via e-mail. Its purpose is to give people a way to network with fellow alumni for personal and professional reasons such as:
- Finding job openings
- Identifying business opportunities
- Sharing knowledge and information
- Tracking down old classmates
- Discussing issues related to the college and/or the marine industry
- Requesting/offering help with business-related problems
- Building relationships with fellow alumni
How It WorksAny list member can post questions, responses, etc. to the list by sending an email to DomeNet@SunyMaritimeAlumni.org. Any message sent to this email address will, after being approved by a moderator, be sent out to all the other members of the list. In this way, questions, answers and information can be rapidly disseminated to everyone on the list and non-real time discussions can be held.
List EtiquetteThe success of this list depends on the willingness of its members to particpate and share in a responsible manner. Here are some guidelines for good list behavior.
- Think and edit before you post. Remember that hundreds of people are going to read what you send!
- Put something meaningful in the subject line. Posts with blank or misleading subject lines will be rejected.
- When responding to a post, use the subject line from the post you are responding to.
- Be Brief. We are all busy so try to stay on topic.
- No attachments. The list software can't handle them.
- Careful with the profanity. We are all professionals so try not to make an @!~* out of yourself.
- No blatant self-promotion. Its Ok to let people know what you do but let's not turn this into an advertising vehicle.
- Sign your posts. Putting your business affiliation and other contact information at the end of your post is also a good idea.
- No personal attacks.
- Contribute. Some lurking is Ok but don't be afraid to join the discussion when you feel you have something to offer.
How Do I Join?Enter your name, graduating class (e.g. 1976) and email address below. Then click Join.
How Do I Post?There are two ways to post to the list:
1. Click here: DomeNet@SunyMaritimeAlumni.org
Fill in the subject line, say what needs saying and send the email. It's that simple.
2. Or you can click this link and post by filling out a web form:
CLICK HERE to post via web form.
Note that you must be subscribed to the list before you can post messages to it.